Code of Conduct
By joining Zentern Internships, the participant assumes certain obligations to Zentern Internships, their home University, their home country and other program participants. If one of our staff determines a participant fails to meet the behavioural expectations or does not abide by the Code of Conduct set out in this document, that participant may be asked to leave the program. Participants asked to leave under such circumstances will not receive a refund whatsoever.
Zentern Internships is an equal opportunity organisation and does not discriminate on any basis – race, colour, creed, gender, ideology, religion, economic status, age or ethnic background.
In addition to other program responsibilities, as a program participant you are responsible for:
- Being in sufficient good health to undertake the program.
- Acting in an appropriate and respectful manner towards the local people, fellow travelers and interns, program participants and staff in accordance with the customs, laws, regulations and ordinances of Japan.
- Communicating effectively your interests, skills, limitations and needs to host university representatives, program providers, and program staff members.
- Understanding that all interns who attend a Zentern Internships program acknowledge, have read and will comply with the Zentern Internships Child Protection Policy.
- Understanding that all interns who attend a Zentern Internships program acknowledge, have read and will comply with the Zentern Internships Preventing Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment (PSEAH) Policy (Australia).
- Understanding that all interns who attend a Zentern Internships program acknowledge, have read and will comply with the Zentern Internships Terms & Conditions.
Following is the Zentern Internships Code of Conduct, including Alcohol and Drug Use Policy, which all participants must agree to:
While in Japan (including virtual programs), you are not only representing your home country, but Zentern Internships and your home University as well. For this reason, Zentern Internships expects all participants to behave in a legal manner that is respectful of other people, customs and property. Participants are responsible for researching and understanding on the laws in Japan, as well as the safety, health, political and cultural conditions of Japan.
While participating in our Zentern Internships program, it is expected that participants will abide by the following Code of Conduct. Violation of this Code may include dismissal from the program.
While in Japan, participants are subject to Japan’s laws and regulations. Japan may not afford the protections available under your country’s law. Any intern convicted of a crime abroad can expect imprisonment and/or fines. Zentern Internships will not assist in legal matters caused by a participant’s use of alcohol or drugs.
Any of the following are considered a violation of the Zentern Internships Code of Conduct:
- Violation of the Alcohol and Drug Use Policy (see below)
- Criminal behaviour or violation of local laws, including theft or vandalism
- Violation of rules or conditions in participant’s accommodation
- Violation of rules in effect at the host university/institution or program
- Repeated intoxication
- Discrimination of any kind, including against race, ethnicity, gender, ideology, religion or other
- Abusive language or behaviour towards anyone in your surroundings including local people, travelers, residents, Zentern Internships staff, host company staff, accommodation staff/roommates, representatives, university faculty/staff, host family, program providers or other Zentern Internships program participants
- Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment
- Disorderly, indecent or obscene conduct
- Violent behaviour
- Damage to any facilities, accommodation, university, hotels or transportation vehicles
- Plagiarism and cheating
- Falsification of documents or personal records submitted to Zentern Internships as part of the application or acceptance process
- Any inappropriate conduct, including but not limited to violation of any Zentern Internships policies
Alcohol and Drug Use Policy
Participants who choose to drink alcohol are responsible for their actions at all times. Excessive drinking may be grounds for dismissal as it can affect the safety of the group, the community and/or the individual. Intoxicated interns will not be allowed to participate on any Zentern Internships excursion or activity, and participants will not receive a refund for the missed excursion or activity. The use, sale or possession of illegal drugs by Zentern Internships participants is strictly prohibited and will result in disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal from the program with no refund applicable. Any violation of the Alcohol and Drug Policy will be taken seriously by Zentern Internships and may be reported to authorities and/or the participant’s home University where applicable.
Please note: If a intern engages in violent behaviour (physical or verbal) towards any Zentern Internships staff, representative, community member, host family, program provider, university faculty/staff or other Zentern Internships participants, they may be immediately removed from the program.
Corrective action may include but is not limited to any of the following:
- Notification: Zentern Internships may notify the participant’s home University of any violation of Zentern Internships policies.
- Compensation: A participant may be required to pay for damages or theft.
- Loss of privileges: A participant may be denied permission to participate in Zentern Internships activities, excursions, etc. permanently or for a designated time period. No refund will be given for missed activities.
- Accommodation termination: Zentern Internships has the authority to remove any participant from his/her accommodation and/or the program in the case of inappropriate behaviour. If this occurs, the intern must then find his/her own alternate accommodation at his/her own expense. No refunds for accommodation payments will be given.
- Dismissal: A participant may be permanently expelled from the Zentern Internships program and their internship company. The dismissed participant will not receive a refund of any kind.
Termination of participation does not diminish or otherwise affect the participant’s obligation to make any and all payments to Zentern Internships. The dismissed participant will not receive any grades or transcript for applicable programs.
Participants must be aged 18 years or over at the time of program departure, unless expressly agreed in advance by Zentern Internships (in writing). Appropriate consent forms will also need to be signed by parents / guardians. A copy of the participant’s passport or similar ID must be submitted prior to the commencement of the program to verify age. Zentern Internships reserve the right to cancel an application or terminate a placement without refund if false proof is found to have been supplied.
All participants must disclose at time of application and/or acceptance any pre-existing or existing medical conditions (including depression, mental health and eating disorders) and disabilities. Any medical conditions arising after application and prior to departure must be disclosed to Zentern Internships prior to departure (or the start of a virtual program) and subsequent program commencement. Zentern Internships reserves the right to refuse an application based on these disclosures if deemed necessary and in the safety and best interests of the participant. Zentern Internships reserves the right to cancel an application or terminate a placement without refund if false information or lack of disclosure is found to have been supplied. Zentern Internships and associated partners are not held responsible for the administration or monitoring of any medication.
Based on our duty of care for every intern, Zentern Internships reserves the right to share the medical information provided by each intern with their home university and the Zentern Internships overseas partner organisation. Zentern Internships policies in this area are established for inclusion and not exclusion. We want every intern to have a positive and well supported experience. To do this, we need to know if interns have any pre-existing medical conditions so we can, if needed, put in place an appropriate support plan. When medical information is disclosed by interns, Zentern Internships will consult with you, your parents/guardians and/or your home university. Zentern Internships supports the requirements of the intern’s home university to ensure the intern is fit for travel (and fit for the program). Any costs associated with doctors’ fees is the independent expense of the intern. Zentern Internships will be not be held financially liable for any expenses occurred relating to medical services required by interns when participating in a Zentern Internships program. If a medical professional deems the intern to be unfit for travel (or the program more broadly), and after consultation with the individual intern and their parent/guardian and/or home university, Zentern Internships reserves the right to cancel an application or terminate a placement with the safety and best interests of the participating intern as the priority.
Some Zentern Internships programs may require a police check / criminal record check or Working with Children check. This check shall be carried out at the participant’s expense. Some programs may require proof that participants are clear of certain medical conditions, through the provision of a formal health check and/or certificate and/or wellness forms. A certified / signed health check, if necessary, shall be carried out at the applicant’s expense and then shared in full with Zentern Internships prior to program commencement.
If a participant wishes to lodge a complaint in relation to their program, they shall first bring the complaint to the attention of a Zentern staff, who will make reasonable efforts to deal with and, where possible, resolve the complaint within a reasonable time. If the representative is unable to resolve any serious complaint, and the participant chooses to terminate their placement early and depart the project, they shall provide the representative with written notice prior to departure. Compensation cannot be provided for early departure from any program unless extreme circumstances are found, which will be determined at the sole discretion of Zentern Internships. Participants agree that Zentern Internships shall not be liable for damages or compensation relating to any claim regarding inconvenience, disappointment, discomfort or loss of enjoyment.